The history of Greaves dates back to 1859 when two Englishmen established the company to provide specialized sales and service of engineering equipment.
At the time of partition in 1947, Greaves Cotton & Co commenced its operations in areas that are now part of Pakistan. The company inherited the agencies and activities of its parent company in Pakistan. Subsequently, the two companies were sold by their British owners to Pakistani and Indian interests.
In 1964, Ghulam Faruque - a renowned and respected name in the industrial and financial sectors of Pakistan acquired the controlling shares of the company and in 1981, Greaves became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Group. Greaves Pakistan belongs to the Ghulam Faruque Group which ranks amongst the most prominent commercial and industrial houses in Pakistan and is highly recognized for its entrepreneurial skills and valuable contribution to the economy.
The Company specializes in the sales, installation, project execution and servicing of engineering products. The Company deals in generating sets, earthmoving and construction machinery, solar energy solutions, vertical transportation (elevators and escalators), air compressors, material handling equipment, UPS and data centers, pumps and pumping systems, petroleum and refueling equipment, industrial machinery and machinery rental solutions.
The Company is headquartered in Karachi and has a nationwide presence with regional offices in Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar and sales and service centers in Hyderabad, Faisalabad, Multan, and Sukkur.
In the early 1970’s, Greaves established a heavy electrical construction division that engaged in the construction of high tension transmission lines. During the next 20 years, Greaves Power Engineering Ltd. (as the subsidiary was named), constructed a number of 132 and 500 KV transmission lines for WAPDA. In 1980, Greaves Power Engineering expanded its operations to Saudi Arabia and worked there for 12 years. During this period, Greaves worked as a sub-contractor for companies such as Balfour Beatty Ltd., UK. and Fujikura Ltd. of Japan.
Until the 80’s, Greaves achieved a phenomenal success in the sales of heavy Earthmoving equipment and the company established itself as the sole agent for Bucyrus-Erie Co. (USA) and Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd., UK (before the two companies went into liquidation), and were the major suppliers of draglines, power shovels, and mobile cranes to the international contractors engaged in the construction of the vast Indus Basin works under the aegis of the World Bank. Contractors for Mangla and Tarbela Dams, the Balloki-Sulemanki Link Canal, the Siddhnai and Chashma barrages, exclusively used B-E and R-B equipment for their requirements. In the early 90's, Greaves sold nine 61-RB Draglines to the Sind Irrigation Dept. through the crown agents.
Greaves now comprises of following divisions: